April 22, 2017

Spotlight Saturday

Since its #Caturday.....


                    When I graduated high school I got a dog. My mom had a friend who worked at the spca and he told her there was a dog in quarantine for a skin issue and he thought I would like him. I went and saw him and instantly fell in love. A Dachshund Corgi mix, and he was perfect. I adopted him and was able to pick him up a few days later. I named him Peanut and he was my everything. We did everything together, he would even come to work with me sometimes, if it was nice out and I could leave him outside. The bond we had was instant and it was rare to not see him riding around with me. A couple years later I added a rescued Pit, Ladybug, to the mix and they were instant friends. But Peanut...he had my heart first. He did have a skin issue, and had to be on steroids and special meds. I was 19 working a bs job but I did what I could, and my aunt worked at a vet and would help me out too. My friends use to make fun of him all the time, but he was my little baby. One night a friend came over and he tried to sleep in the bed with me and peanut and lady, peanut growled at him and I told him peanut didn't like him so that meant he had to sleep on the couch. He thought I was joking....but peanut always came first. More than once my boyfriend at the time told me he really thought I should put peanut to sleep bc of his skin issue. One time I slapped him (on the arm, although it should have been across the face) and one time I threatened to break up with him. Very few people understood the bond I had with Peanut.

(I thought I had better pics of him, but since I had him pre social media, I must have them somewhere else)

                    I had 6 amazing years with Peanut. When I was pregnant, and it got closer to my due date, the dogs (we had 3 by now) were fighting pretty much every time we left them. Peanut was on steroids for his skin, which made him mean. I decided to finally put my Peanut to sleep with Mason coming. So I called my aunt and made an appointment. Worst day of my life by far and I wont go in to too much detail bc it still makes me cry to think about it. 

                    I never thought I would want a dog again, esp since 2 years after that I was forced to give up my ladybug. I was dogless for the first time since I was in 6th grade and I didn't want another. No one could replace Peanut. But after we moved back to VA Aubrey said he wanted to get Mason and I a dog for Christmas. I had kind of talked about wanting a FAMILY dog, but for whatever reason he didn't want a dog and told me he would get one but it was to only be mine. I didn't know at the time that meant he was going to do literally nothing for the dog, and had I known that I would have told him I didn't want the dog. But Mason and I went and picked out Pluto. I tried with Pluto, but probably b/c of the way Aubrey treated me over the damn dog, I hated him. I had no bond with Pluto like I had hoped. In fact, in made me miss Peanut even more. 


                    I took Pluto to my new apartment b/c I felt obligated to but I still had that hole in my heart from Peanut. The weekend we moved in we went and got a cat b/c Mason wanted one. I was instantly in love. I had a cat growing up, but never really thought of myself as a cat person, but I loved her. About 8 months later, on a whim, I got Mason an orange tabby kitten a friend had. My lovie. I love Rainbow but shes not the cuddly kitty we wanted. Well we got that with Nemo and my heart was full again. I miss Peanut and wish Mason had known him, but these cats....they fixed the void I felt from Peanut. And I even sort of like Pluto now that I don't have someone screaming at me over things he's doing. I never thought cats would fix me, but they did and I can't imagine not having them around 💕







No comments:

Post a Comment