March 12, 2017

Book Review

The Handmaid's Tale
   By: Margaret Atwood




       This book was the main book club pick for the month. We pick 2 books every month, and the 2nd one is usually an optional read since most of us finish the 1st pick quickly.


       I was kind of excited about this book, because it is going to be a Netflix series. So I wanted to read the book and then planned on watching the series. I was even more excited about this book because I could get it as an audio book through kindle unlimited. Working overnights, I love listening to audio books. But I found this book hard to get through. It went back and fourth between past and the present, and the reader did nothing to distinguish between the past and present, so it would take a paragraph or a few sentences at least, for me to figure out she was talking about the past, or was back in the present.  This may have been easier to follow if you were reading the book, but listening to it at work was confusing. On top of that, the main character would change her visions about the past. In one 'flash back' she changed the ended of what happened 3 times, so honestly, I don't even remember which was the actual truth in what happened. I looked up some reviews on the book and from what I read, I was expecting a "Hunger Games" like revolution. So I just kept telling myself the book would get better once that started. But it never happened. The book ended with the main character getting kidnapped and *sort of* hinted at the possibility of a revolution, but I was disappointed. The whole story was kind of boring, and if I was actually reading it instead of listening to it, I doubt I would have gotten through it. I was sure I would be the only one that felt this way about the book. When we read 'The Giver' for book club I hated it so much. I couldn't even get through it. When I tried to talk about it at book club everyone looked at me like I was crazy! So I was sure this book would be the same. I discussed it with my sister in law and she loved it, and told me why. I just didn't see her point. I just all around found it boring and anticlimactic.


     Because of the potential snow storm tomorrow (YAY!!!!) I'm not sure if we will have book club this week to discuss this book (not that we talk about the books we read anyways haha). So this is my review ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment