August 20, 2017

CharLovesVille

On August 12, my beautiful hometown was a invaded by a group of white supremacist.  Thousands of them, although I am unsure of actual numbers. I know about 7,000 protesters and counter protests from here and out of town were expected. It turned very bad very quickly. The violence, if I'm being honest, was above anything I thought. They beat a black man in a garage with 2x4s while screaming the "N" word at home. Fights broke out all over, but the worst of it all was when a car plowed through a side street running of protesters on "our side" injuring 19 and killing 1. The act is being called a terriost attack, although they have not charged the driver with that charge.

This act ripped the heart of this town apart. People of both political parties came together against racism. Different events were organized all over the town to show support to each other. I've gone downtown and visited the memorial. And I've gone down to the mural on the other end of the mall. It's awful the see my hometown on CNN and FOX and even international news. It breaks my heart that this is what people know our little town for. For days, it's all anyone could talk about. I would actually get annoyed at my friends who wanted complain about mundane things, like their husband bringing home the wrong cheese for dinner. Everyone's feelings were so raw. I had conversations with people I didn't know, people from around the country friend requesting me and checking in. I had conversations with Trump supporters, and I had conversations with people who want to keep the statue. The only thing on my fb for days, was the rally.

I've been trying to show my support for the town when I can. I usually find out about events after the fact, due to them not being on social media, for safety reasons. My friend Heather has a shop on etsy and came up with these decals to show support. Half the proceeds are going to go to the patient relief fund set up for the victims of the terrorist attack. I picked them up yesterday, and am in love with it. I can't wait to put it on my jeep.


1 comment:

  1. I love this post!! Also you're only 4 books away from your goal for the year!

    ReplyDelete