January 4, 2018

Year Wrap-up Book Survey Thing



How many books did you read? What was your goal?

My goal was 40 and I read 61! For a total number of 19,883 pages. Thanks goodreads!

Most read genre

I couldn't find this on goodreads, so I'm going to take a guess and say YA fiction. I went through a thriller/ suspense phase for awhile, but I think most of the books I read were YA.

Longest book

Underneath the Scarlet Sky By: Mark Sullivan. Amazing book!!!! As well as a suspense/thriller phase, I also enjoyed a few books about WW2 that took place in Europe/ Germany. I'm embarrassed to say I didn't know much about the war from that side besides of course the Holocaust. So these books were very interesting for me to read. 

Shortest book

The Mermaid By: Jodi Picoult. Horrible book, which is disappointing, b/c I love her  

Favorite book published in 2017

The Memory of Butterflies By: Grace Greene. This was a random KU find, that took place in my hometown!! That surprised me, and I loved it

Debut Novel of 2017

Without Merit By: Colleen Hoover I'm sad to say I struggled with this book, but I love Colleen and trusted she wouldn't let us down so I stuck with it and ended up loving it. I passed it along to my little sister knowing she would enjoy it more since she is the middle child in our family. 

Favorite book not published in 2017

From Sand and Ash By: Amy Harmon. Another book about Jews and told through the eyes of a Jewish family in WW2 in Europe. Very interesting and heartbreaking read. 

Book that lived up to the hype

Everything, Everything By: Nicola Yoon 

Book that did not live up to the hype

Handmaids Tale By: Margret Artwood. This was probably my most disliked book of the year. 

Book that felt like a big accomplisment

Misery By: Stephen King. This was a good book, and I picked it as my accomplishment only b/c it's a Stephen king book. I've also stereotyped his books as too graphic, scary and long for me to be interested it. I did cheat and listened to this on audio, but I did get through it and enjoyed it!

Favorite Character

Della Lee from Before the Rain Falls By: Camille Di Maio. I can't really say why she is my favorite without ruining the book, so I'll leave it at that.

Least favorite character

Allie from Allie and Bea by Cathrine Ryan Hyde. Allie was a teenager who ran away from foster homes until she ran into Bea, who was an elderly women who was living out of her van. Allie came from a rich, priveleged family and was put into foster homes when both her parents were arrested for tax fraud. I sympathized with Allie until she decided that she was going to turn her nose up at free food b/c it wasn't vegan, or b/c it had sugar in it. She was homeless, living out of an old lady's van, taking the old lady's money and yet decided she was too good to eat cheap food at a diner, which was what they could afford. The amount of times she said "I can't eat that" made me want to scream. As someone who didn't eat red meat or pork for over 15 years, I get it. However, if I was homeless with no money, I would suck it up and eat what is given to me. She wasn't allergic to the food, just thought she was too good to eat it. Fucking irritated me. 

Most shocking plot twist

I had a hard time picking this, and I decided on 2 books. One is Flat-out Love By: Jessica Park and When You Disappeared By: John Marrs. Both different books, but these were 2 that I was genuinely shocked by the endings 

Favorite couple

Helena and Conway from F*ck Love By: Tarryn Fisher 

Best written

Beneath A Scarlet Sky By: Mark Sullivan 

A book I pushed on people

The butterfly Garden By: Dot Hutchinson 

Favorite book cover

A Thousand Pieces of You By: Claudia Grey 

Favorite book to movie

Everything, Everything By: Nicola Yoon 

Made me cry

Milk and Honey By: Rupi Kaur 

Laughed the most

I Can't Keep My Own Secrets. I'm not sure this is technically a book, it's a short story with random 6 word memoirs sent in by random authors, people and celebrities. But either way, some of the confessions were funny, and since I don't really pick funny books to read, this was the closest I could get to.

Favorite author discovered this year

I'd have to go with Tarryn Fisher. A friend in my bookclub suggest a Tarry book awhile ago and I read it, and wasn't really impressed. But I gave her another shot this year and fell in love! Ironically, I re read the same book, and I guess this was just a better time in my life and I enjoyed it much better this time. 

Are you happy with your reading in 2017?

I am pretty happy with my reading. I exceeded my reading goal by 21 books, did really well on my book bingo, and I read pretty much all year with only a tiny slump with starting the new job. I do wish more had been actual books and less audio, but with my work schedule, it's hard for me to find time to read, and to be awake enough to concentrate. It bothers me when other readers try to discredit audio books as not really reading, but I think it is, and I've "read" some really great books this way. 

Here's to another great year for 2018!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment