April 30, 2018

Wrap up- April





Besides the first book, I was into a WW2 phase and I loved all the books I picked. I'll write a little bit about each one, since they all were about different parts of the war.l


★★★★


★★★★★
 I think this one was the toughest to read. I had to do a lot with the camps, and children. The main character was a doctor for the Nazis but had a heart, and didn't agree with what he was being forced to do. B/c German women were basically sex slaves to the Nazi's there were a lot of stories about women preforming their own abortions. Overall, this book broke my heart. Between the stories of the children, and the camps and the experiments being preformed on women, I can't....but also highly recommend this book!




★★★★★
This book was way different! Actually starting off with women in the States, going through nursing school and then signing up for the reserves. Their deployment is in Manila. What was interesting to me, is actually learning about the war from that country. Their deployment started off way better than most soldiers and nurses. It sounded very luxurious, honestly. Until it wasn't. They were sent to another base, and were eventually captured by Japanese soldiers where they were held as POW for about 2 years. It was a different pace to listen to American soldiers being held in camps instead of the Jews, and learning about the part of the war in the Philippines. The title comes from the Pledge everyone had to sign upon rescue, that they wouldn't go home and talk about the work camp, or being POW. So after 2 years of their family not hearing from them, they aren't even allowed to come home and talk about it. Not that most of them would have wanted to, but still. 

  


★★★★
Although I did love this one, this one is a pretty typical German boy loves a Jewish girl and how he tries to save her. 


★★★★
This one was great! Three women, from different parts of the world join the resistance in attempts to save and smuggle Jewish families into Switzerland. This was so badass, b/c women were seen as such weak people back then, I just loved listening to what they went through. Then later to hear one of their fiances talk about she could never possibly know what he went through in the war. At the time of course she couldn't talk about it, but later on I hope he heard about her and was speechless. 




Dewey's was this weekend and I failed big time. But these were the 2 books I read. 



★★★
This book has been on my TBR pile forever, so I was glad to pick it up for dewey's. I knew it would be a quick read. I am going against the popular opinion here and say this book was eh. I read it as a fiction book, so maybe that was the problem, but besides hearing about the will to live from such a small kid, I just found it annoying. The dad was a piece of shit for not standing up to the drunk of a wife, and for not doing anything once he left. I also really wanted to know why she picked on him. At first I thought it was b/c he was the youngest but she then had 2 more kids and it was still always David. I would like to look into his other books so I can learn more of the story. 


★★
Honestly, this book just bored me. I barley hung on to anything I read, and really just read it to get my page count up. The pictures of the cats were cute though.

No comments:

Post a Comment