May 18, 2017

Book Review




 Two Kisses for Maddy by:Matt Logelin



                             A friend of mine suggested this book to me for the read-a-thon, I didn't get around to reading it then, but picked it up the other day and devoured it. I loved this book so much and I am horrible at book reviews, but I wanted to try and review this one.


                             Now, I said I loved this book, but several things he wrote about really errked me and really that's what I want to write about. In the book, him and his wife met in high school, survived a long term long distance relationship and got married, They loved each other like a movie, and were very excited about their baby coming into the world. The pregnancy was a high risk one, and Liz spent a majority of her pregnancy in the hospital. Their baby girl was born 7 weeks early and was put in the NICU. Liz couldn't see Maddy for 24 hours. When her 24 hours were up, they got her out of bed, walked her around a little since she hadn't stood or walked since she was admitted weeks earlier. She felt dizzy, which Matt was told was normal, and minutes later she was dead. Blood clot from her legs reached her lungs and she died. Just like that Matt was now a single dad. He had no idea what he was doing and he was worried about messing Maddy up.


                          Maddy stayed in the NICU for 2 more weeks and then was allowed to go home. And this is where the book started to annoy me. Not because of anything he was doing, but because of how he was treated when he went out with Maddy. He talked about several times where he went out and he would get looks, and stares because he was a big, bearded man, pushing around a pink covered babygirl.  Some women even came up to him and straight up asked where her mother was!! WHO DOES THIS?!?!? TO A COMPLETE STRANGER?!?! I was so angry!!!! Matt handled it a lot better than I would have, either responding nicely that she had passed away, or sometimes abruptly saying she died, depending on his mood. But any time it happened he was equally offended and flustered. Seriously, who the fuck does this?!?! If it were a female out pushing her baby not a single person would come up and ask where her husband was. Every time this happened to him I would get SO angry!!!! People have no damn manners anymore. And I hope every single person felt like shit afterwards for asking a question they didn't deserve to know the answer to. Yes, I will admit I think it's adorable when I see dad's out with their kids, even maybe makes them more "Attractive". Maybe it's because I don't remember my dad doing things with us, or maybe it's because of other reasons. Maybe it's because society puts it in our heads that men don't know what they are doing when it comes to kids, and that they shouldn't be out alone without the mom. But regardless of the reason I would NEVER go up to a man out with his kid and ask where the mother is!!!! There is something about kids, that makes people forget their manners. The amount of times I was asked inappropriate, tactless, questions when I was pregnant STILL makes me angry to think about. UGH! It's bad enough the man's wife died, the only women he's ever loved, and now he has to relive that every time so nosy ass person wants to ask a completely rude question?!?!

                     Anyways, I loved the book besides that. I loved how amazing Matt did with a premi no matter how scared he was or how incompetent he felt he was, he did it. And he did it alone. His parents tried to hire night help for him, but after 2 nights, he decided he could do it on his own. I loved how he stayed close with not only Liz's family, but her friends as well. Anyone could see Maddy anytime they wanted. He traveled to Minnesota multiple times a year so the grandparents could see Maddy. Just all around a great story. I went to follow his blog that he refrences several times in the book and he hasn't wrote for a couple years now and that makes me sad, because I wanted to see how Maddy was doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment